Sunday, January 13, 2013

You take pictures of wood? Why?


A few Saturday's ago the girls and I were finally able to align our schedules so that we could make a trip to the Great Smoky National Park.  The Park always makes for a great "day-cation" and while I'm working on a photo project there we're always looking for the opportunity to return.

In the essence of time we decided to go to Cataloochee which is on the SE portion of the park and only about an hours drive for us.  Not only is there wonderful history at Cataloochee but it's also were the park service started the reintroduction of Elk.  It's always a pleasure to see the Elk each time we visit.  There is a great abundance of turkey and we've seen a bear or two off in the distance during warmer months.

There are a couple of home sites that are still on my list to visit in Cataloochee and with this trip I was going to have the opportunity to visit one of them;  The Woody House, an original log cabin that was converted to a multi room house between 1901 and 1910, by Steve Woody.  The walk to the Woody house is 1 mile from the trail head which is located at the end of the last open valley and very scenic, with 4 sawn log bridge crossings.


After our visit to the Woody House, I wanted to shoot some detail images and the large barn across from the Palmer House was just the place.  It was late in the afternoon and about 30 degrees so there were very few people around, except for one couple who appeared to be picnicking on the second level loft of the barn.  They looked quizzically at me as I walked around the barn staring at the sawn log siding.  It seemed an odd moment so I asked how they were doing and mentioned they must be cold, without much of a reply.  I did find some interesting details to photograph and after a while the couple appeared close to me looking even more curious than when we first saw each other.  I had my camera set on a tripod and positioned about a foot from the side of the barn.  They watched as I took a few shots and as I was about move my position the man approached and asked "You take pictures of wood? Why" in a European accent.  As I tried to explain the project I'm working on, the concept of detail work, textures, their puzzled looks became more and more glazed over.  So I hit the preview button on my camera to show them the last few images, as they saw a couple of images they looked at each other in surprise then looked at me and said "Oh my God, those are so beautiful!".  They said something to each other and then walked away.

I must say it made me chuckle inside.

Cheers,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment