Friday, June 19, 2009

What camera should I buy?

This is a question I get asked frequently. My first response is usually; What camera do you have? Next question, do you use it? Next question, what do you use it for? Next question, do you know it inside and out? At this point people are either confused and walk away or are intrigued, and want to hear more. My point is, if you had a 35mm, and are ready to change to the dark side (digital world) start with a camera that does what your 35mm did. If you have a point and shoot digital and want to move up to DSLR, try to understand what it is about photography that you like. Take the P&S off PROGRAM and go into the woods and make pictures. Go to your downtown and make pictures of people, buildings, crowds, traffic, etc. Photograph things at night and inside buildings.

By shooting various objects with various settings you'll understand your camera better. You'll understand what it can and can't do. You'll understand what you want it to do. This will help you understand what kind of photographer you are and help to make a decision on what camera to buy.

$5,000 worth of camera gear doesn't automatically make you a better photographer. It does automatically make you a poorer one.

One of my favorite local bands happened to be playing at a downtown event today. I didn't have all my camera gear with me but I always carry my P&S, a Canon A720. With that I was able to make some nice pictures and shoot about 30 seconds worth of video.

Downtown After 5 6-19-09


Cheers.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment